Considered as the 2018 model year, the facelifts and updated configurations ride across the model spectrum featuring a brand name of 'Project 719'. Some enjoy tweaks while others have a laundry list of goodies thrown on. From special paint finishes to through high-quality milled parts packages and even forged wheels, BMW included something for every riding taste.
Clutch and Chrome covered one of the major technology features with the new, large TFT screen which promises fast and clear information for the rider with the least possible distraction from what is happening on the road.
For models such as the BMW R 1200 GS, this connectivity along with LED auxiliary headlights in new design are the only new features, all optional equipment we should add.
But cruise over to the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure, and a regular catalog of new stuff is rolled out. Its range of optional equipment includes the Emergency Call, Connectivity and a host of features to make the next off road ride an even more enjoyable experience.
Pro riding modes enjoy additional ‘Dynamic’ and ‘Enduro’ riding modes and using a coding plug, the ‘Dynamic’ mode is changed to ‘Dynamic Pro’ and the ‘Enduro’ mode to ‘Enduro Pro’ mode. The Pro riding mode continues to feature ABS Pro, dynamic brake light, Dynamic Traction Control DTC as well as Hill Start Control HSC, which is considered optional equipment.
A new passenger package, the extra high seat, Keyless Ride as a new component of the Touring optional equipment package as well as the Shift Assistant Pro as a new feature of the Dynamic optional equipment Package round off the expanded range of options for the R 1200 GS Adventure.
Here are other features for the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure;
- Dynamic ESA next generation with automatic damping adjustment and automatic self-levelling function (optional equipment).
- Keyless Ride as a new component of the Touring Package (optional equipment).
- Shift Assistant Pro as a new component of the Dynamic Package (optional equipment).
- Passenger package with standard windshield and standard seat (optional equipment).
- High Rallye seat (optional equipment).
- LED auxiliary headlights in new design (optional equipment).
- New color Racing red, black frame, black brake callipers, silver fuel tank.
- Style Rallye: new color Light white/Cordoba blue, Cordoba blue frame, gold brake calipers, Cordoba blue fuel tank with large logo, Rallye seat, radiator and frame protection, short windshield.
- Style Exclusive: new color Black storm metallic/Dark slate metallic matt/Achat grey, frame Achat grey, gold brake calipers, Dark slate metallic fuel tank with large logo.
A tradeoff for the new styles, the colors Racing red matt and Light white are no longer available.
BMW R 1200 RT
As of model year 2018, the R 1200 RT will not just be delivered in new paint finishes, but will also receive the banking-optimized ABS Pro as well as the dynamic brake light as standard to increase safety even further.
The range of optional equipment is expanded by the Emergency Call for making an emergency online call as well as Dynamic Traction Control DTC. An embossed RT logo in the passenger seat area visually enhances the visual appeal of the R 1200 RT even further.
An overview of the new features in the BMW R 1200 RT:
- ABS Pro including dynamic brake light as standard.
- BMW Motorrad Spezial parts (special paintwork and equipment).
- Style Elegance: Carbon black metallic, windshield covers and chrome-plated handlebar weights, chrome pannier trim, gold brake calipers, silver wheel rims, silver drivetrain.
- Style Sport: new color Mars red metallic / Dark slate metallic matt with tapes, gold brake calipers, Sport windshield, Asphalt grey wheel rims, black drivetrain.
- For those keeping notes on this particular model, the paint finish Platinum bronze is no longer available.
- The BMW R 1200 R enjoys the Style Exclusive package; a new color of Iced chocolate metallic, gold brake calipers, stainless steel fuel tank cover, Achat grey metallic matt frame, tape on fuel tank.
The paint finish Thunder grey metallic will no longer be available.
The Style Exclusive package for BMW R 1200 RS includes a new color, Frozen bronze metallic/Black storm metallic, gold brake calipers, stainless steel fuel tank cover, Frozen bronze metallic engine spoiler, Achat grey metallic matt frame.
The model itself will be offered in a new color, Blackstorm metallic but the paint finish Lupin blue metallic will no longer be available.
The BMW S 1000 XR has been given a package called the Style HP. Featuring new HP Motorsport colors, Light white/Racing blue metallic/Racing red, and includes a Pro seat with stitched XR-logo.
The paint finish Light white/Granite grey metallic/Racing red will no longer be available.
Once considered the belle of BMW Motorrad’s ball, the BMW S 1000 RR is updated with the optional equipment of Akrapovič full titanium exhaust system.
As with many motorcycle manufacturers, BMW Motorrad are looking to its smaller engine models to attract riders to the saddle. Not surprising then the BMW C 650 Sport enjoys a new paint finish Austin yellow metallic but loses the paint finish Valencia orange metallic matt.
On a similar note, the BMW C 650 GT gets a new paint finish Ocean blue metallic matt but the paint finish Frozen bronze metallic will no longer be available.
BMW’s K 1600 GT, K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B enjoy the availability of optional equipment such as LED auxiliary headlights in new design and its ‘Spezial parts’ for K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL made up with special paint finishes and other optional equipment.
The BMW F 700 GS model will be available with a new paint finish Racing blue metallic in conjunction with Light white frame color. The paint finish Racing Red is no longer available. The BMW F 800 GS will feature a new paint finish Racing blue metallic in conjunction with Light white frame color. The paint finish Ostra grey metallic will no longer be available. The BMW F 800 GS Adventure. The small but powerful adventure bike enjoys a new paint finish Racing blue metallic in conjunction with Light white frame color. The paint finish Catalano grey metallic will no longer be available.
Finally, the special packages even extend to the popular R nineT series of motorcycles with some pretty impressive milled parts and paint colors.