Aside from being another step in the evolution of not just electric bikes but the motorcycle industry overall, the new upgrades promise more torque than any fuel burning production 1,000cc sport bike.
The 2017 model line from Zero Motorcycles features as much as 19% more torque, up to 11% more power and the world’s first production electric motorcycle to exceed 200 miles on a single charge. Advancements in Zero’s proprietary Z-Force powertrain include interior permanent magnet (IPM) motors with increased temperature thresholds and higher amperage motor controllers. Combined, they produce greater acceleration throughout the rev range and up to 116 ft-lb of instant torque on Zero SR and Zero DSR models, with these stats being the bragging rights many bikers enjoy, ‘more than any gasoline-burning production 1,000cc sport bike’.
“Zero’s 2017 lineup offers riders more power, versatility and options than ever before,” said Zero Motorcycles CTO Abe Askenazi. “For those interested in the most fun way of efficiently traversing their urban environment, we’ve released the new, lighter, Zero S and Zero DS ZF6.5 models. On the other end of the spectrum, our top of the line Zero SR and Zero DSR now deliver even more thrills with higher levels of asphalt-shredding torque, while still offering penny-per-mile fuel efficiency and no routine powertrain maintenance.”
Do NOT try this at home kids!
The new Zero S ZF6.5 street bike and Zero DS ZF6.5 dual sport are ideal for navigating dense urban areas. These economical models feature a compact battery that sheds 95 pounds, offering more nimble handling and additional space for convenient, locking storage. For those seeking longer range, the Zero S and Zero SR ZF13.0 models equipped with the optional Power Tank accessory now exceed 100 miles on the highway and 200 miles in the city, the longest range of any production electric motorcycle.
The electric motorcycle manufacturer says its Zero’s Z-Force power packs are the most energy and power dense in the EV industry. For 2017, they feature more powerful processors and new engineering innovations in battery architecture that simplify cell interconnectivity, making the batteries even more robust and reliable. The advanced lithium-ion power packs are maintenance free, designed to exceed the life of the motorcycle, and are now backed by a five-year, unlimited mileage warranty.
“Zero is pushing electric motorcycle technology forward with longer range, higher performance and greater value,” said Todd Andersen, Zero’s VP of Marketing, Sales and Aftersales. “At a time when overall motorcycle industry sales are essentially flat, Zero’s growing network of incredible dealers are seeing significant volume growth and are bringing a wide range of new riders to the sport.”
Beyond their latest functional advantages, the Zero S, Zero SR, Zero DS, and Zero DSR models look better than ever. A new high-quality paint application process replaces the previous molded-in color body panels. The paint underwent extensive scratch and fade resistance testing to ensure exceptional durability. Complementing the painted “tank” area is a new locking, weather-resistant storage compartment with the end result being added convenience as well as premium look and feel.
Being the technology ride they are, it shouldn’t surprising to learn Zero Motorcycles have an app for their bikes. Not only will the free mobile app will enable owners to remotely update their motorcycle’s firmware, saving them a trip to the dealer, it can also be used to customize the motorcycle’s performance characteristics, allowing them to set preferences for maximum torque, top speed and regenerative braking.
From the streetfighter style of the Zero S to the dual sport Zero DSR and the hooligan-friendly Zero FX and Zero FXS, Zero offers an electric motorcycle for every two-wheeled lifestyle. All 2017 Zeros come with a one-year membership in the American Motorcyclist Association, the world’s largest organization that advocates the rights of motorcyclists. Membership includes free roadside assistance.
For those unfamiliar with the different models, here is a very quick rundown of the various options and configurations.
The original Zero S took to the streets in 2009 as the first its of kind in the motorcycle industry. Packed with cutting-edge technology, the Zero S travels up to 202 miles offering more range than any other production electric motorcycle. Perfect for A to B transportation and thrilling on twisty backroads, this naked streetfighter’s instant torque, ease of use and low cost of ownership continues to revolutionize rider views on electric motorcycles.
The Zero S comes in two flavors;
- Zero S ZF13.0 features the Z-Force 75-7 motor producing 60 hp and 81 ft-lb of torque as well as the larger 13.0 kWh power pack.
- Zero S ZF6.5 features the Z-Force 75-5 motor producing 46 hp and 78 ft-lb of torque using a compact 6.5 kWh battery to free up space for a convenient storage compartment and reduces weight by 95 lbs, delivering nimble handling.
Zero S - Source Zero Motorcycles
Massive torque is the easiest way to describe the Zero SR. It amps-up performance with a higher output controller and high temperature motor magnets. The result is a stunning 116 ft-lb of torque, more than any 1,000cc sport bike. With arm-stretching acceleration and higher sustained top speeds, the Zero SR leaves gas-powered competition in the dust.
Zero SR - Source Zero Motorcycles
The Zero DS is called the ‘world’s most versatile electric motorcycle’. Riders wanting to go offroad, this is where to start in the Zero line-up. Easy to control in the dirt and nimble on the streets, the Zero DS’s generous suspension travel and dual-purpose tires allow riders to traverse just about anything. As with the S, the DS comes in two versions;
- Zero DS ZF13.0 uses the Z-Force 75-7 motor producing 60 hp and 81 ft-lb of torque and features the larger 13.0 kWh power pack.
- Zero DS ZF6.5 features the Z-Force 75-5 motor producing 46 hp and 78 ft-lb of torque Zero DS ZF6.5 with a compact 6.5 kWh battery for the power source while freeing up space for a convenient storage compartment and reduces weight by 95 lbs, delivering nimble handling.
Zero DS - Source Zero Motorcycles
An unprecedented 116 ft-lb of torque transforms the versatile Zero DS into the exhilarating Zero DSR. A high-output, 775-amp, controller is paired with an upgraded Z-Force motor to deliver stunning acceleration and vanquish trails or paved roads.
Zero DSR - Source Zero Motorcycles
The Zero FX delivers a stout 78 ft-lb of torque moving less than 300 pounds, this compact stealthfighter is punchy enough to pounce on technical trails or navigate the busiest urban jungle. It is offered in two versions;
- Zero FX ZF3.3 features the Z-Force 75-5 motor producing 27 hp and 78 ft-lb of torque. This version allows riders to ‘refuel’ in seconds with removable power packs. The Zero FX ZF3.3’s hot-swappable system allows riders to purchase multiple batteries that can be charged on or off the bike using optional accessories.
- Zero FX ZF6.5 features the Z-Force 75-5 motor producing 46 hp and 78 ft-lb Zero FX ZF6.5. Equipped with an integrated, higher capacity 6.5 kWh battery, this option is simpler and more cost effective while delivering more power “out of the box.”
Zero FX - Source Zero Motorcycles
The Zero FXS is ready to tackle the most technical sections of the racetrack or dice through virtually any urban obstacle. Powerful and agile, the Zero FXS combines a lightweight aluminum chassis and generous suspension travel to deliver outstanding supermoto-inspired capabilities.
Coming in two configurations;
- Zero FXS ZF3.3 features the Z-Force 75-5 motor producing 27 hp and 78 ft-lb of torque Zero FXS ZF3.3 and allows the option of ‘refueling’ in seconds with removable power packs with the same hot-swappable system detailed above.
- Zero FXS ZF6.5 features the Z-Force 75-5 motor producing 46 hp and 78 ft-lb Zero FXS ZF6.5. Equipped with an integrated, higher capacity 6.5 kWh battery, this option is simpler and more cost effective while delivering more power “out of the box.”
Zero FXS - Source Zero Motorcycles
2017 models should be arriving in showrooms as this is being read boasting prices ranging from $8,495 to $15,995. However, US buyers can take advantage of a 10% federal tax credit making the effective price range from $7,645 to $14,395. Additional states offer incentives, such as California’s $900 rebate, that drop the effective prices even lower.
The Charge Tank accessory has a suggested retail price of $1,995. The new, higher capacity ZF3.3 Power Tank lists for $2,695 with both options factory installed when the customer places their order.